Thursday, February 2, 2012

Courageous Girls

Over the last few months, I’ve been told by countless people, “You really need to see that movie Courageous!” My husband agreed. He went with my dad and brother-in-law to the theaters to see it while us girls were on tour.


Bryan and I sat down on our sofa to watch “Courageous” recently. I wasn’t expecting the tearjerker kind of movie that really messes with my heart! I won’t spill the plot for those of you who haven’t seen it yet...I will just say: See it. Redbox. (And Redbox is one of the best things in the world, in my opinion. Why? One dollar for a movie (plus tax) is cheaper than Trident!)


In the days after our movie night, I kept thinking about the word courageous. It’s one of those stirring words that make me think of epic scenes of battling over evil, you know, Lord-of-the-Rings stuff. Sacrifice. Tireless persistence to fight for truth. Total ‘guy’ stuff. Well, not exactly.


Courage isn’t reserved for guys, even if us girls grew up playing with dolls and mini kitchens, while the boys pretended to be superheroes.


I’ve known many courageous girls throughout my life. And when I look at the Bible and all the epic stories, I see courageous women. My friend Jaime is courageous. She left home to be a teacher in southeast Asia, showing the love of Jesus to Buddhist families. Then there’s Callie, working hard in state politics to be a light for Christ and influence those around her.


To me, courageous girls are the ones who stand up for truth, no matter what happens. In school, that could mean losing a few friends when you say ‘forget it’ to peer pressure. It’s being sure of what you believe, choosing to lean back on intimacy with Jesus when the world around you is chaotic.


How do we find courage? I do know Someone who is more courageous than anyone else who has ever lived: Jesus Christ. He will give you inner courage for whatever comes your way, and you can count on that.


“For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”


-Ephesians 3:14-21


-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment