Friday, December 30, 2011

A Sonflowerz Christmas – in a nutshell

The older I get, the more I realize two things about Christmas: traditions never get old, and my eyes are bigger than my stomach. Around the Leander house, holidays are a mixed bag of American and British traditions. The Queen might as well have been literally in my parents’ living room as we watched her Christmas message via YouTube. I was stunned by her sincerity and the way she spoke of Christ’s birth.

“Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves - from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person - neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive.”

This never gets old. Neither does Christmas cracker wars after dinner. I think we came up with a new tradition this year, though, in honor of the Queen. With a few shovels and a little imagination we built a snow castle in my backyard (snowmen are so last year). We were lucky enough to get snow 3 days before Christmas.

My second realization, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, shouldn’t surprise me. Yet it does every year. There are just too many good things to eat, and not enough time or ability. Close friends came over for dinner and brought some amazing pies for dessert, which were devoured in a tiny second by (mostly) the guys in the house. By the end of the night as the movie credits rolled, I could barely lift a finger. It was a good Christmas in every sort of way.

-Becca






No comments:

Post a Comment